The Welsh Intensive Care Society
WICS was formed in the early 1990s with the aims of furthering audit, research, training and education in intensive care medicine. Most consultants practising ICM in Wales are members, as are most trainees interested in the ICM field. The society is also open to nursing and other allied professions and specialties.
- WICS holds scientific meetings once or twice a year. These are conferences of general interest and have consistently attracted excellent speakers. They are often held in exotic locations such as Portmeirion and have a strong social element
- WICS awards grants totalling up to £4000 per year for professional travel, research or audit purposes.
- Lately, the society has been closely involved with the Welsh Assembly, so members have a voice in supplying expert advice about how intensive care provision can be improved across the country.
- WICS also runs national audits and co-ordinates multi-centre research projects.
- There is also a trainee section, WITS, which holds its own educational meetings supported by the main society